Table of contents
People with proper bite joints will have a balanced, harmonious mouth and face. The three main parts of the face including the forehead, nose, and chin are interrelated, well proportioned in all perspectives. Faulty bite can be treated with braces to correct and restore functional chewing capability and cosmetic.
Some common types of faulty bite
Faulty bite is a general term for protrusion, retrusion, buckteeth, crooked, deviated teeth, etc. This is caused by misaligned bone or teeth.
This is a type of faulty bite with the following characteristics: the forehead-nose-chin seems to misaligned, the nose seems crooked, sharp-pointed mouth, the upper jaw protrudes forward, big stretched lips. The upper teeth cover completely cover the front teeth but far apart. The inner teeth of the two jaws are still in contact.
This type of faulty bite has the following characteristics: The forehead-nose-chin is misaligned, broken in the middle of the face, from the side the nose look crooked or the chin protruding forward which shape like a plow. The upper teeth sit behind and covered by the lower teeth. The inner teeth of the two jaws are still in contact with each other. People with the next type of faulty bites will have the most difficulty in eating, and pronunciation is more or less affected.
The characteristic of this type is that there usually two non-contact teeth in the front teeth group, the tongue can be seen when the teeth in a resting state while the alignment the forehead-nose-chin may be normal. This condition made it difficult to eat.
In addition, there are some other types of faulty bite such as crossbite, protrusion, etc.
What are the causes of faulty bite?
- Due to genetic: If the parent has protrusion, buck teeth, the chance of their children having it will also be very high. This condition is the cause of a faulty bite. For a long time, genetic factors have been considered to cause dental mismatches. These defects can be detected before birth, but some can only be found when children get older (for example, teeth eruption pattern). The role of genetics in facial development has been studied extensively but is not fully understood. However, the role of the gene in the development of the entire face still has little studies, and the genotype and location of the causative gene are still unknown.
- Due to bad childhood habits: The habit of excessive bottle feeding, finger sucking, pushing tongue, etc., these are some of the causes that push the teeth forward, causing faulty bite. Most children will have some types of non-nutritional sucking, either sucking fingers or pacifier. However, the habit of excessive sucking fingers after the permanent teeth erupted will lead to deviation. When a finger is placed between the upper and lower teeth, the compressive force directly pushes the upper incisors forward and the lower incisors backward, sucking also creates negative pressure which narrows the jawline. The degree of dental deviation is correlated with the time spent on daily finger sucking, especially those who suck their fingers during sleep.
Excessive bottle feeding is one of the causes of deviated teeth
- Due to diet: If a child is undernourished, it will affect the development of the jawbone, the jaw bone will become weak, even grow slowly. When the jawbone is too short, there is not enough space for the teeth to erupt properly causes faulty bite.
- Due to premature teeth loss: There are many cases of premature teething due to dental disease or collision, this causes the teeth to crowdedly erupted which lead to faulty bites. According to Dr. Vo Van Nhan: If the baby tooth loss before the permanent tooth erupted (finish forming the crown and begin to form the root), the alveolar of the extracted baby teeth will be reform, interfering with the permanent teeth, slowing the teeth eruption. When the permanent teeth grow slowly, the other teeth will deviate to the area, narrowing the eruption zone.
- Due to accidents: Accidental injuries will cause the teeth to move to the same side, causing severe bite problems.
Treatment of faulty bites
For effective faulty bite treatment, braces are the best solution. Braces help move your teeth into the correct position, adjusting the bite to bring you good, beautiful teeth and correct bite. Cases of faulty bite due to the jaw require jaw surgery.
Braces are one of the most effective ways to treat faulty bite
Faulty bite treatment is quite complicated, so there is a need for a specific, accurate, meticulous solution. The examination and consultation process also require attention, choosing a prestigious clinic for a thorough treatment. Choose and consult a good doctor in the field of correcting bites. Nhan Tam Dental Clinic is always ready to advise, listen to your opinions and wishes so that you can find the best treatment for a better smile.