Table of contents
Disadvantages of removable prostheses (Denture)
removable dentures often entangle in the mouth, decrease chewing capability, reduce appetite when eating, difficulty when talking, the hook can damage real teeth, gradually bone loss can make the denture loosen over time which require adjustment or replacement.
- Removable prostheses decreases the bite force significantly.
- Ability to chew is compromised with removable prosthesis, often causing GI disorder.
- Possible decrease in life span with removable prosthesis.
- Attachment teeth of removable prosthesis can have increased mobility, plaque, bleeding and cavities.
- Embarrassment from loose prosthesis.
- Decrease of supporting bone.
- Sore spots.
Advantages of Implant-Supported Prostheses (Denture)
Dental implant placement is one of the most extraordinary scientific achievements in dental history, helping to restore missing teeth as well as its cosmetic and functional aspect. Dental implants are Titanium fixtures implanted into the jaw bone to replace missing roots. Implanted teeth consist both the roots and the crowns, so they are identical to real teeth.
- Bone loss is prevented.
- Able to restore and maintain height and support of facial structures.
- Preserve the integrity of facial esthetics.
- No unsightly clasps or hooks.
- Elimination of denture adhesives.
- Improved taste of food.
- Esthetic improvement.
- Improved speech.
- Improved biting force.
- Improved chewing efficiency.
- Improved function of prostheses.
- Smaller prosthesis/restoration.
- Improved stability and retention of prosthesis.
- Increased lifetime of prosthesis.
- Elimination of need to alter adjacent teeth.
- More permanent replacement.
- Improved psychological health.