What is dental implant?
According to Dr. Vo Van Nhan: Dental implant placement is one of the most extraordinary scientific achievements in dental history, helping to restore missing teeth as well as its cosmetic and functional aspect. Dental implants are Titanium fixtures implanted into the jaw bone to replace missing roots. Implanted teeth consist both the roots and the crowns, so they are identical to real teeth.
Implanted teeth are called with the name attached to the invention of root replacement, unique to this form of restoration. So not only the technique but also the structure of these teeth is very special.
Implant structure consists of 3 main parts:
- Porcelain Crown: This is the visible part on the gum. Its purpose is to match the color of the adjacent teeth, while also perform chewing and biting function.
- Abutment: This part is attached to the porcelain crown, securing the crown with the implant fixture. Its task is to create the most reliable connection for the crown and the implanted root.
- Implant Fixture: It is the fixturethat replaces the real root. It is made from Titanium, which can combine with several other sustainable compounds. This fixture is shaped like the root of single-root teeth. The surface of the Implant fixture has threads which are for insertion into the jaw bone, giving a more prominent contact area to the jawbone for the most secure connection. The fixture is responsible for supporting the crown, withstanding the chewing pressure as well as to maintain a stable structure of the teeth with the jaw, prevent bone loss because of tooth loss.
Removable dentures restoration
According to Dr. Vo Van Nhan: removable dentures often entangle in the mouth, decrease chewing capability, reduce appetite when eating, difficulty when talking, the hook can damage real teeth, gradually bone loss can make the denture loosen over time which require adjustment or replacement.
In addition, the contact between removable dentures with the jaw bone can damage the jaw and form swelling in the mouth.
Dental bridge restoration
Dental bridge provides chewing function that is almost the same as real teeth. However, the adjacent teeth must be trimmed in order to fit the crowns of the bridge. There will be gradual jaw bone loss at the missing tooth area, affecting the facial cosmetic.
Why should you have dental implants?
The following reasons will help you understand the benefits of dental implant placement. You will have a completely different experience compared to dental bridges and dentures:
- Can overcome any teeth loss cases.
- The number of missing teeth can be cured with the same number of implants.
- Implanted teeth are the same as real teeth, consist of both the crown and the roots, providing highly effective chewing function and cosmetic.
- The implanted teeth are rigid, unmovable, do not affect pronunciation and communication.
- High success rate: Dental implant is one of the teeth restoration methods that provide high success rates compared to other methods, such as removable dentures or dental bridge.
Dental implants brings the best results
- Do not require the trimming of adjacent real teeth (Earlier teeth restoration technique require the trimming of real teeth for bridge support and 15% of those teeth will have pulpitis).
- Prevent bone loss, maintain the structure of the face, lips, and cheeks, do not deform the face, maintain cosmetic and youthfulness.
- Taste does not change, the patient can still feel if the food is soft or hard, hot or cold, sour or sweet, spicy or not spicy, etc., giving a more satisfying meal.
- Limit gingivitis, tooth decay, etc.